The blast started in a minivan in the Dasht-e Barchi area of the western Afghan capital, officials said.
At least one person has been killed and four others injured in an explosion that hit a vehicle in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, officials said.
The incident on Saturday took place in Dasht-e Barchi, a Kabul suburb dominated by members of the predominantly Shia-Hazara community, which has been the target of ISIL-affiliated fighters for years.
The Afghan Journalists Center said the person killed in the blast was Hamid Seighani, a well-known Afghan journalist who used to work for the television network Ariana.
“Unfortunately, we lost another reporter,” the center tweeted hours after the blast.
There was no responsibility.
The driver of the vehicle, speaking to the Associated Press at the hospital, said that at some point during his route, a suspicious man got into the bus and a few minutes later the explosion went behind it.
He saw two passengers with their clothes on fire fall out of the rear of the vehicle while other passengers escaped from the front.
“I was in my car and there was an explosion in the vehicle in front of us,” a witness told the AFP news agency. “It was completely burned.”
He said the blast took place near a checkpoint manned by the Taliban and that shots could be heard shortly after immediately after. A nearby hospital issued a statement saying it had admitted one dead and four injured.
Taliban spokeswoman Zabihulla Mujahid tweeted that one person had been killed and two injured after a fire broke out in a minibus and resulted in an explosion.
Pictures shared on social media on Saturday showed flames and a thick cloud of black smoke sprouting into the sky.
The blast occurred the day after at least three people were killed and 15 wounded by a bomb blast at a mosque in Nangarhar.
In a statement, the Nangarhar governor’s office said officials had arrested two “perpetrators” of the mosque bombing, but gave no other details. No group has claimed responsibility for the Nangarhar attack.
“Further investigation of the incident is underway and more actions will be taken,” the statement said.
While Kabul has been largely free of ISIL (ISIS) since the Taliban took power in August, ISIL fighters in a recent attack raided the city’s National Military Hospital, killing at least 19 people and wounding more than 50.